PPP for Windows 2000 Professional
Requirements for a modem connection
Installing the modem
Installing network and dial-up connections
Connecting to PennNet and the Internet
- Netpoint username and password. The username will be the first part of your email address, like email@example.com.
- 350 MHz Pentium II processor (or above) with 128 MB RAM. As always, more memory will enable you to run more applications at one time.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional. You may also need the Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM at hand in order to complete the installation process.
- 100 MB or more of free hard-disk space.
- 2x or above CD-ROM drive.
- 33.6 Kbps or faster modem.
- Follow the instructions in the manual that came with your modem to install the modem and connect it to your PC and phone line.
- Connect the modem cable to a serial communications port on your PC, most commonly COM1 or COM2. If you're using a built-in modem, the modem cable is not necessary and the port assignment is most likely COM3.
- Go to "Installing network and dial-up connections"
- Turn on your modem and computer.
- Click "Start", point to "Settings", and click "Control Panel".
- Open the "Network and Dial-up Connections" folder.
- Double Click "Make New Connection". This opens the "Network Connection Wizard".
- Click "Next".
- Select "Dial-up to the Internet", and click "Next".
- Select "I want to set up my Internet connection manually...", and click "Next".
- Select "I connect through a phone line and a modem", and click "Next".
- The next page asks for the phone number which needs to be dialed. Insert (507) 655-1955. The backup number is (507) 401-2001
Type your username and password in the appropriate boxes.
In the "Connection Name" field, type "Netpoint" in. When you are finished, click "Next".
You may opt to setup your e-mail account if you know the server names and your username/password. Otherwise, select "No".
If you wish to connect to Netpoint immediately leave the box checked on this page to do so. Otherwise, uncheck it, and click "Finish". A connection icon for your remote connection will be created in your "Network and Dial-up Connection" folder. Drag this icon to your desktop to create a shortcut.
- Double-click your remote connection icon.
Note: When connected, the Connection Complete dialog box will appear. If you would not like the Connection Complete box to appear in future connections, check "Do not display this message again" and click "OK"
- When you are ready to disconnect, quit all open network applications and then terminate your modem connection by right-clicking the connection icon on the bottom Windows tool bar and selecting "Disconnect."